On Friday Tiger Woods announced his decision to withdraw from the Genesis Open and Honda Classic scheduled over the next two weeks.

Woods says the withdrawal is due to the back injury that saw him withdraw from the Omega Dubai Desert Classic before the second round last week and has caused him continual problems throughout the latter stages of his career.

In a statement the 41-year-old said, “My doctors have advised me not to play the next two weeks, to continue my treatment and to let my back calm down.

“This is not what I was hoping for or expecting. I am extremely disappointed to miss the Genesis Open, a tournament that benefits my foundation, and the Honda Classic, my hometown event,” he continued.

“I would like to thank Genesis for their support, and I know we will have an outstanding week.”

Woods’ much awaited comeback has been unprosperous this far, having missed the cut at the Farmers Insurance Open two weeks ago and withdrawing in Dubai the following week. The 14-time major champion has only managed three rounds since his comeback and failed to break par in any of them.

After a 17 month absence from official tour events, golf fans worldwide were exuberant to witness the comeback of Woods but the much awaited return has taken another turn for the worse.

Advertisements